The Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) is a national federation of 39 independent, community-based and locally operated Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies.
For more than 70 years, the 39 Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies have provided millions of families with top-quality, affordable health insurance. BCBS:
- Represents the nation’s oldest and largest family of health benefits companies
- BCBS Brands are the most recognized in the health insurance industry
- Headquarters in Chicago with offices in Washington, D.C.
- More than 880 employees
- BCBSA Departments and National Programs
Collectively, the 39 Blue Cross and Blue Shield System provides healthcare coverage for more than 99 people or one-in-three Americans.
- 39 Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies
- Among the 20 largest employers in the U.S.
- Healthcare coverage available in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and in Puerto Rico
- Nationwide, more than 90 percent of hospitals and 80 percent of physicians contract with BCBS companies—more than any other insurer
BCBS Healthcare Coverage
Blue Cross and Blue Shield companies offer a variety of insurance products to all segments of the population, including large employer groups, small businesses and individuals.
- 65.8 million in PPOs
- 12.9 million in traditional, fee-for-service programs
- 15.8 million in HMOs
- 4.8 million in point-of-service (POS) products
|Below is a list of the some of the Blue Cross Blue Shield plans available through Health Plan One. Learn more about Blue Cross Blue Shield health plan details provided by Health Plan One. Med Plan Access also provides some useful information and comments on the Blue Cross Blue Shield plans below.
SelectBlue PPO Plan
SelectBlue provides the most extensive benefits of any "individual" health insurance plan offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois; however it provides superior coverage. The SelectBlue Plan has a very adequate lifetime coverage benefit of $5,000,000 per covered person, deductibles ranging from $0 up to $5,000, a hospital admission deductible of $0 (in-network), coinsurance options of either 80% or 100%, $20 copays for wellness visits and well child visits, $10 copays for prescription drugs (35% or 50% coverage for brand name prescription drugs), and also optional maternity benefits.
SelectBlue Advantage and BlueValue Advantage
Designed for the more budget-minded, the "Advantage" plans are modified versions of the SelectBlue and BlueValue plans. These health plans provide access to the same giant Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois PPO network, but offer less generous benefits. This "Advantage" plans are priced about 10% below SelectBlue and BlueValue.
BlueEdge Individual HSA
This is a plan designed for individuals. Combining a Health Savings Account (HAS) with any Blue Cross Blue Shield HAS plan allows you to make tax-deductible contributions, pay medical expenses with pre-tax dollars, and earn tax-deferred interest. You may use your tax-free savings for qualified medical expenses your health plan does not cover, such as your deductible, contact lenses, pr most types of alternative medicine. If you do not use these funds, they simply accumulate with interest, for distribution upon your retirement.
Below are some tips on choosing the right health insurance plan. It is important to determine what benefits meet your needs when choosing a plan. Below are some key factors to consider.
- Hospitals and physicians are in the plan network.
- Doctor visit co-pay
- Prescription benefits and co-pay
- Annual deductible
- Out of pocket annual maximum
- Lifetime Maximum Coverage
- Health Savings Account Qualified Plans (tax advantage plans)
When you are evaluating Blue Cross Blue Shield quotes and plans on our site, keep these in mind. They will help you make the right choice. Our site is designed so that these are clearly outlined for whatever plan you choose.
Enter your zip code above for an instant online health insurance quote from Blue Cross Blue Shield.