Medicare is a federal health insurance program established to provide health care insurance for seniors 65 or older and people with disabilities. Original Medicare consists of two components, Part A and Part B. Part A provides hospital insurance and Part B provides medical insurance. If you are on Medicare, it will pay for much but not all of your health care services and expenses.
Virginia Medicare Supplemental plans, or Medigap, are health insurance plans designed to help fill the gaps for Virginia residents left by Original Medicare. Medicare Supplemental plans are sold by private insurance companies in Virginia and help to cover coinsurance, copayments and deductibles.
Medicare Health Insurance Providers
How do I choose the Virginia Medicare health plan that's right for me?
Below are some options to consider when deciding on the Virginia Medicare Supplemental plan that is right for you.
- Monthly premium
- Annual Deductible
- Skilled Nursing Coverage
- At Home Recovery
- In or Out of Network physicians
Medicare Health Insurance Plans
Medicare is classified into four different categories.
- Medicare Part A: Part A covers Hospital Insurance and gives financial assistance for inpatient care. Part A also partially covers skilled nurses, hospice, and home health care under certain conditions.
- Medicare Part B: Part B covers necessary medical services such as outpatient care and doctor services. Some preventative care is also covered to maintain your healthy status and minimize the chances that other illnesses might become more severe.
- Medicare Part C: Part C is a Medicare Advantage Plan. It combines Part A and Part B and in some instances, it also combines Part D. Medicare Part C plans are privately managed by insurance companies approved by Medicare. The plans cover necessary medical services, although, these plans have co-payments, coinsurance, and deductibles that can vary.
- Medicare Part D: Part D provides assistance covering prescription drugs. The coverage will vary depending on the plan, but it may help lower your prescription drug costs and help prevent high costs in the future.
Where can I read about Virginia Medicare?
Medicare Health Insurance