Medicare is a federally funded health insurance program for individuals 65 or older. Original Medicare, which includes Part A (hospital insurance) and Part B (medical insurance) has many gaps in it that can cost Medicare beneficiaries a fortune. Louisiana Medicare Supplemental Insurance can help fill those gaps. Original Medicare helps cover some but not all medical and hospital expenses. The other expenses must be paid for out of pocket and can become very expensive.
Medigap, or Supplemental Medicare Insurance covers the services that the Original Medicare does not for Louisiana residents. Medigap is sold by private insurance companies in Louisiana and helps to cover co-insurance, co-pays and deductibles.
Medicare Health Insurance Providers
How do I choose the Louisiana Medicare health plan that's right for me?
When choosing a Louisiana Medicare Supplemental plan, you need to determine what services and coverage you may need. Some examples include:
- Monthly premiums
- Annual deductible
- Prescription drug coverage
- Out of pocket costs
- Are referrals needed to see a specialist?
- In and out of network physicians and hospitals
Medicare Health Insurance Plans
Medicare is classified into four different categories.
- Medicare Part A: Part A covers Hospital Insurance and gives financial assistance for inpatient care. Part A also partially covers skilled nurses, hospice, and home health care under certain conditions.
- Medicare Part B: Part B covers necessary medical services such as outpatient care and doctor services. Some preventative care is also covered to maintain your healthy status and minimize the chances that other illnesses might become more severe.
- Medicare Part C: Part C is a Medicare Advantage Plan. It combines Part A and Part B and in some instances, it also combines Part D. Medicare Part C plans are privately managed by insurance companies approved by Medicare. The plans cover necessary medical services, although, these plans have co-payments, coinsurance, and deductibles that can vary.
- Medicare Part D: Part D provides assistance covering prescription drugs. The coverage will vary depending on the plan, but it may help lower your prescription drug costs and help prevent high costs in the future.
Where can I read about Louisiana Medicare?